First of all I have already failed in my resolution to take pictures of the food I cook. Oh well, it is a burger, so I am pretty sure everyone knows what they look like. But this burger is inspired by Spanakopita, which some members of my family couldn't remember how to say so it turned into spanky-pita burgers, which is more fun to say anyways. It started as a Rachel Ray recipe, but it has changed so much over the years that I think I can claim it as my own, I don't even need the recipe any more to make it. I have made this for large groups, and it goes over really well. So here goes:
Spanky-Pita Burgers
1 lb ground chicken or turkey - I prefer chicken, but in reality I get whichever is cheaper at the store that day
5 oz frozen spinach
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3.5 oz crumbled feta
2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1) Coat a pan with cooking spray, add onion and garlic. Saute, set aside.
2) Combine chicken, spinach, onion and garlic mixture, feta, oregano and basil in a bowl
3) Form patties
4) Cook burgers
5) I personally like to eat this on a bun with some Sadziki sauce
Makes 6 burgers. Total cost: $6.93, cost per burger: $1.16

No comments:
Post a Comment