Monday, July 26, 2010

CGC EAGLE

Yesterday I went to see the Coast Guard Cutter EAGLE.  The ship was build in Germany in 1938.  It was used as a training vessel for the Nazi Navy during WWII, and was part of the peace settlement at the end of the war.  When the United States received the vessel it was granted to the Coast Guard, and they have used it as a training vessel at the Academy ever since. 
The ship was docked in Ft Lauderdale, so I made the 30 mile trip up there after church on Sunday.  The afternoon started off with a nice little rain storm (as seems to happen whenever I go out).  Then an hour later the sun came out and we had a perfect Southern Florida afternoon.  The line was long, but the rain helped to shorten it a bit. 
The EAGLE is on its yearly trip from CT, to Key West, and it makes stops at major cities along the way.  So if you live on the East Coast I would suggest taking a trip out to see it.  It is always nice to see what our Tax Dollars are paying for, and see a bit of our history at the same time. Plus Bonus: it is completely free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers