While I am done with my week of eating in, I am still eating in most of the time because it is so much cheaper. With the exception of the occasional bagel on mornings I don't work I am eating at home or packing my lunch for work just about all the time. To that end I will try to put up recipes as I find ones that are good. So here I go with one. I am also going to try and start taking pictures of the food I am making for the blog. But I am not a food photographer, I am much better with landscapes. I am also going to include a cost for each meal after the recipes.
I once heard someone say that the key to becoming a good cook is to take a recipe and make it your own. So about a year ago I found a recipe on Food Network that sounded good, Beef Empanadas. When I printed out the recipe I decided that it didn't have enough spice for me, so I changed it a bit tonight when I made it. I tend to like my food with a little kick, which is probably why I order the cornmeal pancakes with green chilies when I go to the Pancake Pantry. So here is what I ended up with tonight: not healthy at all, but at least it is baked not fried.
2 (9 in) refrigerated pie crusts
1/2 lb steak cubed (I used a cut that was for stir-fry that I got at the grocery store)
1 Tsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp ground Cumin
1 Tbsp dried Oregano
1 Tbsp dried Basil
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1) Preheat oven to 425 F
2) Mix chili powder, cumin, oregano, and basil in a small bowl
3) Brown steak, when done add spice mixture along with a small amount of water, boil down, when done remove from burner
4) Unroll one crust onto flat surface
5) Divide crust into four quarters. Top each quadrant of crust with 1/4 cup of beef, 1/4 cup of cheese, and about a Tbsp of chilies, making layers and spreading ingredients to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Top with the second pie crust
6) Using a pastry cutter or sharp knife, make an X accross the circle, making 4 equal sections. Pinch around the edges with a fork to seal.
7) Transfer empanadas to baking sheet and make small slits in the top of each to allow steam to escape during cooking. Bake 8-10 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
Cost calculator: $8.09 for the whole recipe. I made four, and one was certainly enough for a meal, so it is $2.01 per meal - I have three left for future dinners in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Followers
My Blog List
-
-
September7 years ago
-
Larkin Family Vacay10 years ago
-
We are Alive!13 years ago
-
-
Love Came Down14 years ago
-
-
-
Out from the fog...16 years ago
-
-
Starting Senior Year17 years ago
-
Beautiful kids!17 years ago
-

No comments:
Post a Comment