Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Week of Eating in - Day 1
One of the blogs I read is Not Eating Out in New York, in it the author challenged all her readers to try not eating out for one week. The week in question was last week, but with moving and everyone wanting to go to lunch with me, last week wasn't going be a good one for me to try to not eat out. So I started yesterday. I packed a lunch for work, which I ended up eating at home as I only had to work a half-day. Lunch was a classic: PB&J, strawberries, oreos, and a coke. Then I went to Publix to get food for the week. Now to add to this challenge, in my new place I share the fridge, freezer, and cubard space. I some-how got the smallest shelf in all three. To explain, my shelf in the fridge is currently packed to the brim with: a loaf of bread, a tomato, some grapes, a bag of lettuce, a container of strawberries, celery, a baggy of grapes, some chicken thawing, and a jar of jelly. I was granted no more space, so I had to figure out what I could make for myself with less room then I would have had in a small dorm style fridge. At the store I bought some pre-cooked frozen chicken planing to make chicken salad for dinner. When I went to the fridge last night to make dinner the chicken that I had placed in the fridge to defrost it was still frozen. Now I had to do some quick thinking. I had a lean-cuisine pizza left from when I was in the hotel, so I made that and a salad. Not the most exciting meal, but I managed to make food for myself with-out eating out. Total the meal cost me: $4.07, where personal pizza and a salad in a restaurant would have cost at least $10 plus tip. I would put my cost savings at $6.00, I wonder what the tally will be at the end of the week with just calculating dinner. I intend to eat the chicken tonight, so that should be one more day towards my week of eating in. I think a lot of people, including myself, use lack of space to legitimize eating out, so this week should be an interesting test - we'll see how long it lasts. And hopefully I will manage to save a good bit of money along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Followers
My Blog List
-
-
September7 years ago
-
Larkin Family Vacay10 years ago
-
We are Alive!13 years ago
-
-
Love Came Down14 years ago
-
-
-
Out from the fog...16 years ago
-
-
Starting Senior Year17 years ago
-
Beautiful kids!17 years ago
-

No comments:
Post a Comment